Children’s Faith Formation
The support and nurturing of the Catholic community to its children, continuing God’s work of regeneration, renewal, and enlightenment by the Holy Spirit of the whole, newly developing child that was begun at Baptism.
From the Criteria for Catechesis of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (CCCB): In the first years of a child’s life, the child is given “an anthropological basis for the life of faith, a sense of trust, of freedom, of self-giving, of invocation and of joyful participation.” The children will receive their first formation in prayer and their first introduction to Sacred Scripture. (GDC n. 178)
To inquire about celebrating the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and/or First Holy Communion, please contact your local parish. Find a list of parishes at: Parishes in the Diocese of Saskatoon
For information about Evangelization and Catechesis resources, including for the Sacramental Preparation for Children, please contact Director of Ministry Services Marilyn Jackson at email@example.com or (306) 659-5836.
Among the ways in which our parish communities are supporting, leading and providing faith formation:
• Sacramental preparation (contact your local parish).
• Catechetics classes (especially in communities without Catholic schools).
• Working with Catholic schools in the community – Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools for Saskatoon, Humboldt, Biggar, Warman and Martensville: https://www.gscs.ca and Light of Christ Catholic Schools for Unity, SK: http://www.loccsd.ca
• Offering Children’s Liturgy of the Word during Mass – find more information here: Children’s Liturgy of the Word
• Providing other opportunities for catechesis, for prayer and for community for children, youth and families, including programs such as Vacation Bible School in the summer, or the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS) for young children. Find more information about CGS at: Catechesis of the Good Shepherd in Saskatchewan
• Youth groups – Contact your local parish – Parish List