St. Joseph Parish, 535-8th Street East, Saskatoon is seeking an administrative assistant to work approximately 21 hours per week.
The Administrative Assistant, reporting to the Pastor, manages the front office reception area, receives parishioners/visitors on behalf of St Joseph Parish and assists the entire parish staff in carrying out administrative duties
Position Summary by Four Areas of Responsibility
1 – Reception
The Administrative Assistant will manage the front office reception area.
- Answering and directing phone calls/emails
- Answer the door
- Sorting and distributing mail
- Ordering office and church supplies
- Manage keys (arrange to have keys cut, handle sign out and returns)
- Receiving and directing parishioners/visitors
- Assisting day-time renters with requests
- Send out application forms for hall bookings
- Arrange to meet renters to give Hall Key and collect balance of rent and damage deposit event
- Ensure hall is clean after each event
2 – Data Entry & Parish Record Management
The Administrative Assistant will oversee the process of documenting, entering and processing of parish records.
- Registering families with the parish
- Registering families for sacramental preparation programs
- Recording of sacraments and death/burials
- Issuing updated baptismal certificates
- Type and update Marriage Records (license, registration, certificates)
- Deliver Yearly Sacramental information to Diocese
- Preparing Annual Diocese Pastoral Report
- Maintaining office files
3 – External Communication Management
The Administrative Assistant oversees weekly print and web communications.
- Creating, formatting, and printing Sunday bulletins
- Creating, formatting and issuing weekly e-newsletters (if needed)
- Updating and maintaining parish website (if required)
- Arrange for the copier or computer to be serviced
- Typing bulletin, brochures, posters and any preparation of printing to be used in the parishes.
- Overseeing and maintaining the parishes calendar of events
- Preparation of all material for PPC’s meetings.
- Typing and distributing annual report from Pastoral Council for the Parish Annual General Meeting.
- Contacting volunteers to confirm upcoming commitments
4 – Assisting Parish Staff
The Administrative Assistant assists parish staff with administrative tasks.
- Proofreading/editing documents
- Taking registrations/selling tickets/fundraising/ Mass cards
- Stuffing envelopes and organizing mail outs
- Ensure all equipment is maintained in good working order.
- Part-time position of 21 hours per week.
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9:00am to 4:00 pm with the possibility of flex-time within regular office hours
- Remunerated monthly according to the Administrative Assistant & Bookkeeper Grid of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon
Qualifications & Job Specification
- Confirmed practicing Roman Catholic in good standing with the Church with a thorough understanding of the Catholic faith and practices and possessing an appreciation for the broader diocesan and universal church.
- Secretarial/business college certificate/diploma and/or experience
- Ability to be discreet with sensitive information and to maintain confidentiality
- Working knowledge and experience in office equipment
- Working knowledge of: Microsoft Word, Publisher, Excel, PowerPoint, Parish Data Systems, Parish Friendly Solutions.
Applications should be sent/emailed to Fr. Hoang Nguyen 535 – 8th Street, Saskatoon, SK., S7H 0P9 or firstname.lastname@example.org before Jan. 20, 2023.