On Eagle’s Wings (OEW) is an ecumenical ministry that proclaims Jesus Christ and serves the Church and individuals in remote and isolated areas of northern Canada. We are a ministry of Word and presence. OEW enjoys the support of Christians from several denominations throughout North America.
The head office is in Edmonton, Alberta and a small administrative centre is located in Lansdale, Pennsylvania.
The primary responsibility of the Director of Ministry is the continuation and growth of OEW’s ministry among remote and isolated communities in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut. The ability to travel north at different times of the year is paramount to fulfilling this ministry.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Development and implementation short and long-term ministry plans consistent with needs identified by communities and OEW.
- Ministry of presence in and to, and build relationships with, northern community members, and listen for their needs to discover ministry opportunities within the ministry base area.
- Growth of relationships and ministry opportunities in the northern communities on a year- round basis.
- Working cooperatively with, and support ministry of, Christian communities in the North.
- Working cooperatively with ecumenical partners within ministry bases.
- Along with other members of the ministry team, planning and implementation of Bible Camps.
- Together with the Executive Director (ED) and other key staff and volunteers, assure all necessary supports, curriculum, pastoral concerns, and follow-up for Bible Camps, volunteers, and communities are conducted.
- Attendance, as a team member, at least two weeks of Bible Camp annually.
- Organization of, provision of pastoral support, hospitality, travel plans for all volunteers to ministry area.
- Coordination of one’s own, as well as volunteers’, year-round ministry in the Northwest Territories/Nunavut ministry area.
- Identification, training, encouragement and mentoring northern Christians for leadership and ministry within their own cultural and denominational traditions.
- Provision of pastoral care; support; study; and where requested and appropriate, worship opportunities for individuals and groups living and serving in the North.
- Provision of pastoral counseling when and where it is appropriate.
- When required, provision of appropriate culturally and denominationally sensitive Christian education for northern Christians—families, children, women and men.
- When required, and where not already available, write curricula for various levels of Christian education including, but not limited to, Bible Camp, Sunday School, and Bible studies.
The position of Director of Ministry is a .8 time position (i.e. 80% or 4 days per week in keeping with OEW’s office hours). The position is based out of the Katzman Centre office in Edmonton, Alberta and is open to ordained and lay candidates with appropriate qualifications, aptitude, and ministry experience.
If ordained, the candidate must receive a call/appointment from a recognized Church Body (e.g. Diocese or Synod). If a lay person, the candidate shall provide a recommendation from his/her Pastor and Bishop, or persons holding equivalent positions and authority.
The successful candidate will be part of the OEW’s ministry team serving alongside, and working co- operatively with, other staff and volunteers. Salary is according to the scale set by the Synod of Alberta and the Territories of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.
All conduct, work, and ministry undertaken by the successful candidate will be consistent with OEW’s Mission Statement and Core Values.
The anticipated start date for this position is February 1st, 2021.
A full job description and additional information are available on request.
For more information or to apply, please contact Rev. Lesley Hand, Executive Director, On Eagle’s Wings Ecumenical Ministries Inc., 10072 164 Street NW, Edmonton, AB. T5P 4Y3 – PHONE: 780-440-6594 / 1-866-441-6594 or E-MAIL: email@example.com