Twitter icon
Pinterest icon
Facebook icon
LinkedIn icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon
Bishop's Annual Appeal Give Online

St. Athanasius Parish at Perigord, SK celebrates centennial

One hundred years of parish life, ministry and faith celebrated Oct. 28 at St. Athanasius Parish in Perigord

 By Kiply Lukan Yaworski

A joyful celebration highlighting 100 years of faith and ministry was held Oct. 28, 2018 at St. Athanasius Parish in Perigord, SK, on the eastern side of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon.

Bishop Mark Hagemoen joined the parish community, returning parishioners and visitors for the event, which included celebration of Mass, a dinner and program.

St. Athanasius Parish was officially established in 1918, with Fr. Joseph Benoit as resident pastor.

In the diocesan book “Building the Church, Living the Gospel,” historian and author Margaret F. Sanche writes: “The present St. Athanasius church was built soon after in 1926-27. Fr. Ephrem Demers oversaw the construction, and parishioners Hercule Plante and Mederic Caza served as contractors for the project. Special features include the altar made by parishioner Roland Bosse and a large church bell. A painting inspired by the Book of Revelation: ‘He that overcometh shall inherit all things,’ commissioned by Lionel Pelletier and painted by local artist Rose Steadman hangs above the north altar of the church.”

Originally part of the diocese of Prince Albert, the parish later became part of the Archdiocese of Regina. When Saskatchewan diocesan boundaries changed in 1998, St. Athanasius, Perigord became part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon, situated in the Wadena deanery.

 

-30-

 

 

 

 

 

 

-30-

 

Diocese of Saskatoon In Video

--