Week of Prayer for Christian Unity – virtual Bible Study online
January 18 - January 25
Week of Prayer for Christian Unity online event – Saskatchewan’s first-ever Week of Prayer for Christian Unity virtual 8-day bible study sponsored in partnership with the Prairie Centre for Ecumenism and The Regina Council of Churches will be held Jan. 18 to 25. The regular Week of Prayer for Christian Unity events will not be held because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The 8-day virtual bible study series that will run from 12:15 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. (CST/SK time) daily from Monday, Jan. 18 to Monday Jan. 25 over Zoom.
Hosted by the Prairie Centre for Ecumenism and the Regina Council of Churches, this study is free and open to all. A different Christian leader will guide us each day as we explore the theme “Abide in my love and you shall bear much fruit” (John 15:5-9).
The 2021 theme calls us to pray and to work for reconciliation and unity in the church, with our human family, and with all of creation. Drawing on the Gospel image of vine and branches, it invites us to nourish unity with God and with one another through contemplative silence, prayer, and common action. Grafted into Christ the vine as many diverse branches, may we bear rich fruit and create new ways of living, with respect for and communion with all of creation.
The theme for the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity 2021 is “Abide in my love and you shall bear much fruit”(John 15:5-9) and materials have been prepared by the Monastic Community of Grandchamp in Switzerland. This theme is developed through a series of reflections which extend over eight days and will be the basis of the bible study. Each day will be led by a different denominational leader. The daily themes are:
- Day 1 – Monday, Jan. 18: Called by God: “You did not choose me but I chose you” (John 15:16a)
- Day 2 – Tuesday, Jan. 19: Maturing Internally: “Abide in me as I abide in you” (John 15:4)
- Day 3 – Wednesday, Jan. 20: Forming One Body: “Love one another as I have loved you” (John 15:12b)
- Day 4 – Thursday, Jan. 21: Praying Together: “I do not call you servants any longer…but I have called you friends” (John 15:15)
- Day 5 – Friday, Jan. 22: Letting Oneself Be Transformed by the Word: “You have already been pruned by the word…” (John 15:3)
- Day 6 – Saturday, Jan. 23: Welcoming Others: “Go and bear fruit, fruit that will last” (John 15:16b)
- Day 7 – Sunday, Jan. 24: Growing in Unity: “I am the vine, you are the branches” (John 15:5a)
- Day 8 – Monday, Jan. 25: Reconciling with all Creation: “So that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete” (John 15:11)