Mount Carmel PilgrimageShrine of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, SKSunday, July 19, 2020
- 9:30 a.m. – An Hour with Mary – Marian hymns, Rosary, Sacrament of Reconciliation
- 10:45 a.m. – An Hour with God’s Family – Sunday Eucharist at 10:45 a.m. / Blessing of the fields
- 12:00 noon – An Hour with our Diocesan Family – Lunch and quiet time with the Blessed Sacrament
- 1:30 p.m. – An Hour with the Lord – Hymns, Stations of the Cross, procession with the Blessed Sacrament, Blessing of the Sick
Located about 5.2 km north of Carmel, SK (west of Humboldt).
Mount Carmel, named after the famous Mount Carmel in Israel, is the highest spot in the district (1,987 feet above sea level). .
In 1902, Fr. Bruno Doerfler, OSB, and his exploration team stopped at the hill and replaced a cross that had been on top of the hill. Fr. Bruno conceived the idea of dedicating the mount to Mary, but it was Abbot Michael Ott, OSB, who solemnly blessed the mount on Sept. 10, 1922 with 3,500 people in attendance. He announced that an annual pilgrimage would be held the Sunday following July 16, the feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. He also dedicated the entire abbacy area to the Blessed Virgin.
According to tradition the hill was a sacred place for the natives of the area. The Carlton Trail going from Winnipeg to Edmonton split into two trails at that spot, so that a trail passed by on either side of the mount.
The mount was donated to St. Peter’s Abbey by area farmer John Bunko in 1921 and 15 acres of land was obtained for parking.
In 1928 an Italian-made white carrara marble statue of Mary was placed on top of the hill. In 1938, stonemason Antonio Molaro constructed the chapel and altar from local stone. The Stations of the Cross were erected July 16, 1939. The bell beside the chapel was donated in 1967 by Immaculate Conception Parish. In 1937 and 1950 lightning struck the statue’s pedestal.
Fr. Patrick Peyton launched his family rosary crusade at Mount Carmel on Sept. 26, 1948, with a crowd of 12,000 present. (A Journey of Faith, 310)