Diocesan Bulletin Announcements for Sunday, Dec. 8, 2019 – Second Sunday of Advent
* Diocesan Prayer Intention: We offer prayers in solidarity with Indigenous Peoples today and on the upcoming Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe on Dec. 12: may God bless us all in our mutual journey of peace, justice and reconciliation.
Earthcare Connections Intentions (Dec. 8, 2019, Second Sunday of Advent)
1. As we care for others, may our awareness of God’s presence give us confidence and joy. We pray to the Lord.
2. May our preparations for the holiday season include care for the needy and vulnerable. We pray to the Lord.
(Announcements marked with an asterisk * are included in the Diocesan Bulletin PDF)
* BAA UPDATE – It’s not too late! Thank you to all who have already made a gift or pledge to the Bishop’s Annual Appeal! Our diocesan total has jumped to $1,153,084, or 82 per cent of goal! That speaks volumes about the compassionate hearts of the people of this Diocese answering the call to reach out to those in need. If you have not had the chance to make your gift, please prayerfully consider doing so. You WILL make a difference in someone’s life! Gifts can be made online at www.dscf.ca (immediate tax receipt!), dropped in the collection basket at your parish or sent to BAA – Diocese of Saskatoon Catholic Foundation, 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon SK, S7S 1H1Gifts received by Dec. 31, 2019 will receive a charitable tax receipt for this tax year. For more info contact Cathy Gilje at email@example.com or (306) 659-5851.Every gift has value and will be accepted with gratitude!
* Advent Penitential Services and Christmas Mass Times: Find information about various parish Christmas Mass times on the diocesan website: rcdos.ca/Christmas
During the Advent season many parishes will gather together to hold Penitential Celebrations, to facilitate and encourage celebration of the Sacrament of Reconciliation (confession). A number of these opportunities are listed on the diocesan website (link on the home page) at https://rcdos.ca
Parishes located in the City of Saskatoon (listed by date):
- 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 4 at St. Thomas More Chapel, STM, 1437 College Drive (Additional confession times: Thursdays from 10-11 a.m. in the Chapel prayer room)
- 7:00 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 12 Adoration and Confession at St. John Bosco, 1202 Avenue O South
- 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 17 at Holy Spirit, 114 Kingsmere Place
- 7:00 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 18 at Our Lady of Lourdes, 1235-12th St. (Additional confession times: 30 minutes before every Mass at Our Lady of Lourdes)
- 7:00 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 18 at St. Michael, #13-33rd Street East (Additional confession times: 4:00 – 5:00 p.m. Saturdays at St. Peter the Apostle, 1121 Northumberland Avenue)
- 7:00 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 19 at St. Philip Neri, 1902 Munroe Avenue South
- 7:00 p.m. Friday, Dec. 20 at Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road (Additional confession times: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays of Advent 11:30 am – Noon)
- 7:00 p.m. Friday, Dec. 20 at St. Anne, 217 Lenore Drive (Additional confession times: every Wednesday from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.)
- 7:00 p.m. Friday, Dec. 20 at St. Joseph, 535 – 8th Street East (Additional confession times: half hour before Mass)
Parishes located outside the City of Saskatoon (listed alphabetically, by community):
- COLONSAY, SK – St. Mary, Colonsay at 7:00 p.m. Friday, Dec. 20
- DENZIL, SK – Sacred Heart, Denzil at 7:00 p.m. Friday, Dec. 13
- FOAM LAKE, SK – Christ the King, Foam Lake – 6:30 p.m. Monday, Dec. 16
- FOX VALLEY, SK – St. Mary, Fox Valley – 7:00 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 12
- KERROBERT, SK – Our Lady of Assumption, Kerrobert at 7:00 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 18
- MACKLIN, SK – St. Mary, Macklin at 7:00 p.m. Friday, Dec. 20 (note corrected date!)
- MAJOR, SK – Immaculate Conception, Major at 7:00 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 19
- MARTENSVILLE, SK – Immaculate Heart of Mary, Martensville at 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 10 (Additional confession times: Thursdays 6:00 to 6:45 p.m. and Saturdays 4:15 to 4:45 p.m.)
- ROSETOWN, SK – St. Theresa, Rosetown at 7:00 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 11
- UNITY, SK – St. Peter, Unity at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 10 (Additional confession times: Saturdays at 10:00 a.m.)
- VANSCOY, SK – St. Francis Xavier, Vanscoy – Confession in Advent available before Mass on Dec. 15 and Dec. 22.
- VISCOUNT, SK – St. Aphonse, Viscount at 7:00 p.m. Friday, Dec. 13
- WISHART, SK – Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Wishart – 6:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 20
- WYNYARD, SK – St. Mary, Wynyard – 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 17
* Library closed – The Msgr. Michael J. Koch Resource Library at the Catholic Pastoral Centre will be closed for the month of December. Returns can be made at the Catholic Pastoral Centre reception desk, 2nd floor, Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Rd, Saskatoon, 9 a.m. to noon, 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays. There is also a book return on the first floor of the Cathedral of the Holy Family, at the bottom of the stairs, available whenever the cathedral is open.
* Croatian Mass will be held at St. Philip Neri Church (corner of Taylor St. & Munroe Ave) on Sunday, December 15,2019 at 6:00 pm. There will be confessions before Mass. Father Domin Vladic, from Calgary will be the celebrant. There will be lunch and fellowship after mass. Please stay and visit. For more information please contact Lydia Simicic at 306-242-9214. Dec.15.2019 after 4:00 pm 306-229-7007
* Campaign Life Coalition Saskatchewan has large 2.5 lb Christmas Fruitcakes for sale. The price of the cakes are $25 each. All proceeds go to building a culture of life from conception to natural death. We offer free delivery in Saskatoon, and with advance notice we can offer very reasonable delivery options to other communities. For orders please call Louis 306-249-2764
Gregorian Chant Mass and First Friday Devotion – Reverence, silence, and beauty. This special Mass, Friday, Jan. 3, 2020 at St. Paul’s Co-Cathedral, 720 Spadina Crescent, Saskatoon, will be accompanied by Sacred Music (Chant and Polyphony). Confessions and Chanted Evening prayer are at 6:30 p.m., Mass is 7:00 p.m. to 8:15 p.m., followed by social time, followed by chanted Night Prayer at 9:00 p.m. Booklets will be provided for the Mass and also for Night Prayer. For more info, please contact: Hudson or Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Covenant of Care – Video updates from diocesan leaders about the work being done in our diocese to safeguard minors and vulnerable persons, and to respond to sexual abuse allegations were recently posted on our diocesan website, along with PDF transcripts of statements from:
1) Brenda Fitzgerald, Chair of the Diocesan Committee on Covenant of Care and Serious Misconduct Protocols;
2) Theresa Campbell, Diocesan Coordinator of Care;
3) Most Rev. Mark Hagemoen, Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon
Find all three videos posted at: https://rcdos.ca/video-updates/
Note: A news item about diocesan updates related to the Covenant of Care safeguarding policies and misconduct protocols can also be found online at Catholic Saskatoon News: https://news.rcdos.ca
* Simbang Gabi – Pre-Christmas Novena – Mass with potluck will be celebrated by the Filipino Catholic Community of Saskatoon at a different Saskatoon parish on nine evenings from Dec. 15 to Dec. 23. There is a pot-luck meal after every Mass, please bring something to share. Everyone is welcome! The 2019 Simbang Gabi novena schedule:
- 5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 15 at St. Paul Co-Cathedral, 720 Spadina Crescent
- 7 p.m. Monday, Dec. 16 at Holy Spirit, 114 Kingsmere Place
- 7 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 17 at St. Francis Xavier, 222 Willow Street
- 7 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 18 at St. Philip Neri, 1902 Munroe Avenue
- 7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 19 at St. Anne, 217 Lenore Drive
- 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 20 at St. Mary, 211 Avenue O South
- 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 21 at St. Patrick, 3339 Centennial Crescent
- 7 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 22 at St. Peter the Apostle, 1121 Northumberland Ave.
- 7 p.m. Monday, Dec. 23 at Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road
* Christmas Talent Show – Pure Witness Ministries and Our Lady of Lourdes Parish together present “Christmas Hot Cocoa and Cookies Talent Show” from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., Dec. 15, Gaudete Sunday at Our Lady of Lourdes, 1235 – 12th Street East, Saskatoon. Acts of music, singing, dancing, acting and recitations are welcome, from people and groups of all ages. Contact Carmen at email@example.com or by text 306-715-1571 if you are interested in performing.
A Marriage Preparation Course will be offered at St. Philip Neri parish, Saskatoon on March 21 – 22, 2020. Register by contacting Shirley, pastoral associate, (306) 343-0325 before March 12.
* Knights of Columbus Carol Festival “Good News, Great Joy!” featuring two different programs Monday, Dec. 9and Tuesday, Dec. 10 with choirs from Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools performing at TCU Place 7 p.m. each evening, rush seating only (prelude from 6:30-6:50 p.m.) Tickets are available at participating schools and at TCU Place https://tcutickets.ca or (306) 975-7789. Adults $12; Children 5-14 years $3; under five years, free.
Mark Your Calendars: Serena Saskatchewan, a natural family planning service, invites you to an annual gala fundraiser (Mexican theme) at EEBurritos in Saskatoon on Saturday, February 8, 2020. Guest Speaker: Fr. Geoffrey Young. For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* My Soul Still Dances: Living with Parkinson’s is a book that chronicles Sister Adelaide Fortowsky’s journey from the time of her diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease, until her death in July 2016 at the age of 86. This Ursuline Sister of Prelate drew on her decades of teaching, clowning, worship and life experiences to bolster her hopeful perspective on living with this debilitating illness. It was Sister Adelaide’s faith in God that kept her living with vitality through the most difficult times, focusing on service to others with her “little acts of magic” to bring joy to those around her in the midst of coping with her own deteriorating health. The book consists of excerpts from Sr. Adelaide’s “Parkinson’s Story” diary entries, produced with assistance from her long time friend, Sister Rosetta Reiniger, OSU. Sister Magdalene Stengler, OSU, also assisted with the production of the book. My Soul Still Dances can be purchased for $19.95 by contacting Sister Rosetta Reiniger, 125 Cree Crescent, Saskatoon, SK S7K 7J1 or email@example.com or (306) 361-8034.
Thank you for signing the Solidarity Letters which will be presented by Development and Peace/Caritas Canada to the defenders of the Amazon. Kelly Di Domenico, director of communications and campaigns, attended the Synod on the Amazon together with Jeremias Oliveira, a Mura representative from Brazil. When she presented him with some of the first Solidarity Letters in support of his community, he could not believe that people from so far away could care so much. A special thank-you to leadership and supporters of this timely and relevant campaign within your parishes! Take the intergenerational pledge in care of our common home – go to devp.org/pledge
Winter Camp 2020 will be offered during February break Feb. 17 to 22 at St. Michael’s at Madge Lake in Duck Mountain Provincial Park for children and youth ages 9 years to 15 years. Tobogganing, downhill skiing, Cross-Country Skiing, Skating, Snow Shoeing and Ice fishing all in one week! Cost: $250. Come experience God’s love at St. Michael’s Ukrainian Camp as we blaze through cross-country trails, explore Duck Mountain and have many winter adventures. Registration is now open! Please go to http://www.stmichaelscamp.com/camps/register to print the form and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail the completed form to: St. Michael’s Camp, Box 128, Kamsack, SK, S0A 1S0. Counsellors Wanted for Winter Camp 2020 – St. Michael’s At Madge Lake, Duck Mountain Provincial Park, SK (camp involves children/ youth ages 9 to 15 years from Feb. 17-22.) If you are looking for an opportunity where you will give a lot and get even more in return, then serving as a counsellor at St. Michael’s Winter Camp is a place for you. For more information and to apply online, please go to www.stmichaelscamp.com .
* The Archangels and Healing: An Advent Mission with Fr. Stefano Penna will be held Dec. 16-18. The parish of St. Paul’s Co-Cathedral invites you to join in the three-day Advent Mission to be preached by Rector, Fr. Penna. The archangels are a central part of God’s plan of Salvation – why is it that we so quickly rush by these powerful and loving Saints? Turning to the three great archangels – Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael – on subsequent nights, Fr. Penna will reflect on how each is a messenger of the Healing Salvation of Jesus Christ. To fit into busy lives these talks will be repeated twice a day: 1:30 (after 12:10 Mass, bring a bag lunch!) and 7:00 (with Benediction). On Wednesday, Dec. 18 at 7 p.m., we will celebrate a Healing Mass with the Anointing of the Sick. The Sacrament of Reconciliation will be available during the retreat times as well.
L’Arche Saskatoon is on a mission to help people grow – which means we have to grow too! Right now, we’re turning people away from our L’Arche Workshop because our van is full – we have no empty seats. We need an additional van to transform the way we serve our community; our goal is to have this additional vehicle on the road by January 2020. L’Arche Saskatoon is fundraising to purchase a second van so that they can provide more opportunities and activities for people living with disabilities. The L’Arche workshop provides meaningful daytime opportunities and activities for people living with disabilities. Please visit www.careavancampaign.org for more information.
Medjugorje Prayer Group runs every second Thursday of the month, at 7:00 pm at St. Paul’s Co-Cathedral, beginning at 6:30 pm.
* Everyone is welcome to the Marian Movement of Priests Cenacle – all are invited to a Diocesan Cenacle of Prayer to be held at 3 pm. on Wednesday, Dec. 11, at St. Paul’s Co-Cathedral, 720 Spadina Crescent, Saskatoon. For more info contact Edna at: (306) 382-1680.
* From Mourning to Dawn, the diocesan grief support group for widows and widowers begins the winter 2020 session on Tuesday, Jan. 7. Facilitators, who have themselves also experienced the death of a marriage partner, engage with participants on an 8-week journey of transformation and healing, offering support and encouragement for bereaved spouses. This program is open to participants who have been widows/widowers between 2 months and 2 years. Sessions are held at the Catholic Pastoral Centre in the Cathedral of the Holy Family (123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon) on 8 consecutive Tuesdays, beginning Jan. 7 and ending Feb. 25, 2020 held each Tuesday, from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Cost of this program is $35. To register or for more information, please contact Dianna Knaus, 306-382-0535 or email: email@example.com
* Prison ministry request: The diocesan Restorative Ministry office is seeking monetary donations for purchase of small, identical gifts for some 475 men, as a way to share Christmas joy, and let them know they are not forgotten by God or the community. If you are able to help, please drop off or send donations to the Catholic Pastoral Centre, 2nd Floor, Cathedral of the Holy Family, 123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon, S7S 1H1, “Attention: Dianne” (please make out cheques to “Restorative Ministry”), or call Dianne Anderson at (306) 659-5845. Note: The Catholic Centre is open weekdays, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed from noon to 1 p.m.). Thank you for your generosity, your prayers and your heart of mercy. “I was in prison and you visited me…” (Matthew 25:36).
Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, Martensville, SK. Marriage Preparation will be held Friday, March 20, 2020 from 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm and Saturday March 21, 2020 from 9 am – 4 pm; $125/couple. To register please email firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Catholic Women’s Clothing Depot at 619 20th St will be holding a Christmas Sale again this year. Our sale begins Tuesday Nov. 12 through to Dec. 24. Along with your generous gently used clothing donations, we are requesting donations of new items such as toys, socks, underwear, sheets, towels, tea towels, blankets, comforters, jewellery, health and beauty products, and individually wrapped candy for our candy cups. Items can be dropped off at the CWL Clothing Depot between 9 and 3 Monday through Friday or you may arrange for Thursday pick up by calling 306-242- 5042. Thank you for your generosity and support throughout the year.
* Catholic Deaf Community Mass in ASL (sign language) is offered every Sunday of the year, at 10:00 a.m., as well as at seasonal liturgies, at St. Paul’s Co-Cathedral, corner of 22nd St. and Spadina Ave. in Saskatoon. For more information please contact Roberto Godoybaca at email@example.com.
* Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Level 1 course is coming to Saskatoon in January 2020. This is a great Montessori-based catechetical approach for very young children that deepens their love of Jesus and their experience of liturgy and scripture. This is a great training for interested parishioners, parents, family members, or anyone who works with children or youth, including teachers, youth ministers, sacramental preparation leaders and home schoolers. For more information about the Jan. 17-20 course, or to request the brochure, contact Linda Funk at firstname.lastname@example.org. Those who prefer online payment, do so through the CGSAC website at http://www.cgsac.ca/home.html Childcare is available at an additional cost.
Mark your calendars for Dueling Pianos – Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools Foundation is hosting a Dueling Pianos Cabaret at 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 7, 2020, at the German Cultural Centre, 160 Cartwright Street E., Saskatoon. Guests will be treated to an all-request live show featuring the talented performers of the “World Famous Dueling Pianos.” From Frank Sinatra to AC/DC, Britney Spears to Adele, Elton John to Johnny Cash, they do it all! Come ready to request your favourite songs, to sing, dance, and laugh out loud. Tables of eight are available (assigned on first purchased basis. For tickets and details see: Eventbrite.ca (Charities and Causes). Tickets are $65 each ($40 charitable donation receipt) or table of eight for $500 ($300 Charitable Donation Receipt). The GSCS Foundation provides ongoing funding and support for initiatives leading to educational excellence, spiritual growth and enhanced learning opportunities for students and staff of Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools. Purchase tickets: at www.eventbrite.ca
* Learn and Pray the Divine Office: Every Saturday there will be an opportunity to learn the Divine Office beginning at 9 a.m. at St. Paul’s Co-Cathedral, 720 Spadina Crescent East, Saskatoon, followed by actually praying Divine Office Morning Prayer (with Gregorian Chant) at 9:30 a.m. All are welcome; booklets will be provided. Arrive at side door facing 22nd Street. For more info, contact Hudson at 306-220-7236.
Samaritan Place care home in the Stoneridge neighbourhood of Saskatoon is in need of Spiritual Care support in the following ways:
- Individuals to provide one-to-one visits;
- Individuals who are skilled in assisting with Mass through music (piano keyboard and/or vocal leading);
- An individual to lead weekly, Monday morning Rosary.
If you would have joy to participate in any of these ways, please call Sharon Koop, Spiritual Care & Mission Effectiveness Director, 306-986-1460 ext. 1410.
Hospice at Glengarda – A “Close to Home” campaign is underway to raise funds to build Saskatoon’s first residential hospice at the former Ursuline Glengarda residence on Hilliard Street in Saskatoon. The building will be expanded, renovated and furnished as a 15-bed “Hospice at Glengarda” to provide comfort, peace and tranquility in an environment that is as close to home as possible.
Other priorities for the Close to Home campaign include:
- Establishing Holistic Care Endowments to provide bereavement care, spiritual care and healing arts therapy to patients and families facing end-of-life, both in the Hospice at Glengarda and in the community;
- Establishing an Education Fund to enrich the skills of professional end-of-life caregivers and community members in Saskatoon;
- Undertaking needed renovations to the Palliative Care Unit at St. Paul’s Hospital.
For latest updates, more information, ideas for how to help raise awareness and/or to donate, please go to the St. Paul’s Hospital Foundation campaign website: www.CloseToHome.fund or e-mail: email@example.com or call (306) 655-5821.
Catholic Hospital Chaplaincy: Spiritual Care is still available at all of our hospitals in the city, thanks to support from generous donors. Regardless of whether your stay is long or short, planned or an emergency, please request spiritual care when in hospital in Saskatoon:
- For patients at Saskatoon City or Royal University Hospitals, please contact Jackie Saretsky at the Catholic Pastoral Centre by phone at (306) 659-5839 or (306) 292-5531 or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (The diocesan Hospital Chaplaincy Office is funded by the Bishop’s Annual Appeal.)
- For patients at St. Paul’s Hospital, please ask at the nursing desk, or phone (306) 655-5000 and ask to connect to Spiritual Care.
On-going programs include:
- Centring Prayer: Monday evenings – 7 p.m. except holiday Mondays
- Holy Eucharist: Wednesday afternoons – call to confirm Mass time – all are welcome!
- Women in Ministry Luncheons: Monthly, 6
- Knights of Columbus Brothers Keeper Breakfast: 2nd Tuesday/month -7 a.m.
- Taizé Prayer: 7- 8 p.m. 2nd Wednesday/month – 11
- 24 Hours Eucharistic Adoration – 4th Monday & Tuesday/month noon to noon, Jan. 27-28
- Personal Days of Private Prayer and Rest: Call reception to arrange a suitable time.
Do You Need a Place to Stay or Meet? Consider Queen’s House! To inquire about booking space at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor St. W., Saskatoon, contact the bookings coordinator at 306-242-1925 or e-mail: email@example.com or contact the receptionist at 306-242-1916 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
HEALING OUR LOSSES: Healing with Art – with Sr. Felicitas Drobig, OSU. Four Tuesday evenings, January 7, 14, 21, 28, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. $120 for all sessions. A minimum of 6 participants is required to offer this series – registration deadline: January 2. To register please contact Sr. Felicitas directly: email@example.com; 306-260-7311.
Spiritual Direction: If you are interested in having a mentor and companion to accompany you on your spiritual journey contact Sr. Adeline Behm at Queen’s House of Retreat and Renewal: 306-242-1916 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website www.queenshouse.org to see a list of our affiliated spiritual directors.
Exploring the Universal Christ, An 8-Week Book Study in Regina and Saskatoon. If you are looking for a more inclusive and compassionate spirituality, you are invited to join a book study featuring Fr. Richard Rohr’s newest book, The Universal Christ: How a Forgotten Reality Can Change Everything We See, Hope For, and Believe. In Saskatoon the book study will be held: Thursday evenings, 7:30 – 9:00 pm, beginning Jan. 16, ending March 5 at Queen’s House Retreat and Renewal Centre, 601 Taylor Street West, Saskatoon. Facilitators: Scott Pittendrigh and Sarah Donnelly. Cost: $80, which includes the companion study guide. Come with your own copy of The Universal Christ and the ability to commit to at least 6 of the 8 sessions. Registration deadline: January 9, 2020. Call 306-242-1916.
Iconography Series – Two eight-week classes with Anna Mycyk and Gisele Bauche. Will be available either Wednesday or Thursday evenings, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. from January – March 2020 at Queen’s House, 601 Taylor Street East, Saskatoon. Cost is $230 for 8 classes plus $110-130 for the gesso wood panel board. To register call Gisele at 306-380-3577 or email: email@example.com