The next round of four courses begins in September 2022, offered online from 4:15 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoons
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon, St. Thomas More College and Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools present:
Indigenous Pastoral & Lay Leader Ministry Education is a continuing education program for Catholic Indigenous and non-Indigenous clergy and lay ministers, led by teams of Indigenous and non-Indigenous instructors, modelling respectful and reconciling relationships. The program is jointly sponsored by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon, St. Thomas More College and Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools.
The Indigenous Pastoral & Lay Leader Ministry Education Program includes:
- An overview of the features of Indigenous peoples in western Canada, with specific reference to the Saskatchewan context.
- An overview of the history and features of contact and relationship between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples with specific reference to the Roman Catholic Church experience.
- Creation of a dialogue between Indigenous and Christian world views.
- Insight into the history that has shaped the complex nature of the relationships in the present day.
- Provide mutual sharing and hope for a respectful and harmonious future as children of God, who together seek beauty and good of all.
Why take the program?
- To participate in a concerted effort to answer the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Call to Action.
- To learn about the history of the interaction between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Peoples including the impact of Roman Catholic missionaries on Indigenous communities.
- To discuss areas of culture convergence/divergence.
- To further Catholic social and moral teachings.
- To support the building of right relationship between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Catholics in Western Canada.
Who should take this program?
- Lay ecclesial ministers
- Catholic school teachers
- Family ministry leaders
Schedule and Registration:
NOTE: Participants completing all four courses will earn an Indigenous Pastoral & Lay Leader Ministry Certificate.
The program sessions for each of the four courses will be offered online only from 4:15 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. (SK time) on Tuesday afternoons. Participants will receive log-in information before the first session.
Each course is 18 hours including out-of-class time commitment to additional reading and course work.
Course 1 (Introduction to First Nations Studies) – Sept. 20 to Nov. 15, 2022 – REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
Course 2 (Indigenous-Settler Relationship) – Jan. 10 to March 7, 2023
Course 3 (Introduction to Contemporary Effects of Colonization) – March 28 to May 23, 2023
Course 4 (Introduction to Reconciliation: The Church and Indigenous Peoples) – Sept. 26 to Nov. 21, 2023
The fee is $200 for each course.
Funding assistance and bursaries may be available: Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools staff can check with GSCS administration; in the diocese of Saskatoon bursaries for both clergy and laity are available – diocesan residents can apply for support through the diocesan Education of Laity Fund: LINK.
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 306-659-5831.