The Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Saskatoon is once again hosting the program entitled the Season of Creation, with a prayer service at 7:00 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19 at Steve Patola Park, 1235-20th Street West, Saskatoon, followed by a panel discussion, displays, and coffee in the adjacent hall at St. George Senior Citizens Club.
The Season of Creation is an annual celebration of prayer and action to protect God’s creation. It is celebrated by Christians of all traditions, and the leaders of various churches have encouraged the faithful to participate. The season begins on Sept. 1, the World Day of Prayer for Creation, and runs through Oct. 4, the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of ecology in many Western traditions.
Sept. 1 was proclaimed as a day of Prayer for Creation (World Day of Prayer for Creation, or Creation Day) by Ecumenical Patriarch Dimitrios I for the Orthodox in 1989, and was embraced by the other major Christian European churches in 2001, and by Pope Francis for the Roman Catholic Church in 2015.
The Akathist Prayers in Praise and Care for God’s Creation will be held outdoors at Steve Patola Park (1235-20th St. West) on Thursday, Sept. 19, at 7:00 p.m., with Fr. Janko Kolosnjaji of St. George Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral presiding.
Speakers at the panel discussion in the hall, which follows the outdoor prayer service include:
- Bishop Bryan Bayda of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Saskatoon,
- Bishop Mark Hagemoen of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon,
- Rabbi Claudio Jodorkovsky of Congregation Agudas Israel, Saskatoon,
- Sandra Harper from the Indigenous community of Saskatoon,
- Rev. Karen Fraser Gitlitz of the Saskatoon Unitarians,
- Various youth / young adults.
The panel will be reflecting on the theme of Healing Mother Earth, Reconciling with Each Other.
The hall at St. George Senior Citizens Club will be decorated with educational posters, and a new initiative – environmental product displays operated by local entrepreneurs and businesses – will facilitate informal dialogue from 6:00 p.m. Sept. 19 through to the end of the evening’s activities.
(For more information about the Saskatoon event, please contact Lesya Sabada – firstname.lastname@example.org )
Pope Francis asks us to pray for creation:
“We need a change that unites us all…”
Find more information about Seasons of Creation at: SeasonofCreation.org
Read Pope Francis’ encyclical on Care for Our Common home at: Laudato Si’
Other resources about Season of Creation:
- Evangelical Environmental Network: https://www.creationcare.org/
- World Evangelical Alliance Creation Care Taskforce: http://www.weacreationcare.org/
- Anglican Church of Canada’s Season of Creation page includes lectionary notes, hymn suggestions, and other resources:https://www.anglican.ca/publicwitness/season-of-creation/
- United Church page for Creation Time: https://www.united-church.ca/worship-liturgical-season/creation-time-1
- Green Churches Network has a Season of Creation toolkit including prayers, posters, reflections, and resources for action and education: http://greenchurches.ca/season-of-creation/
- KAIROS Canada: https://www.kairoscanada.org/season-creation-global-prayer-action-creation
- WCC has an extensive list of resources at https://www.oikoumene.org/en/what-we-do/climate-change/time-for-creation